R & D Stations
Today, the Social Studies Research & Design Team met (as did R & D teams from several other disciplines). Teachers were given 3 choices:
- Pick something that interests you from last session’s brainstorm (related to the 4 guiding priorities)
- Work on the 9th Grade Humanities pilot (learning outcomes, ideas, etc.)
- Teach social studies through interactive tech (drone w/camera) and badges
Team members collaborated in small groups and as individuals, sharing out at the end of the session…
- Humanities: who will teach it? will it just be a combo of lit and history or will it include other disciplines like arts, theater, etc.? idea for teaching through geographical areas, idea for have the mindsets be a stronger, guiding factor throughout the course.
- 1st Grade – each week a new country featured in a key doc. this week, Burundi – they have NO schools, “hurts my soul” – gives new empathy and informs how I teach
- 7th & 8th Grade – Assessing a new unit, looking at last year’s exam, revising, “when you don’t get to claim your ‘rights.’
- Lower School revisions of curriculum maps
- Lower School – finalizing government assessment & proficiency scales
While it is a busy time of year and few folks want to stay late, I am proud to be part of this team. Also, I am grateful for all of the people who worked behind the scenes to make this session happen. I am grateful for the rough drafts and iterations. I am grateful for the feedback and brainstorming. I am thankful for the minutes and hours spent in preparation, and most of all for the positive attitudes. Thank you!